In an impressive ceremony graced by Punjab’s top political bosses including CM, Industry Minister and MPs, as well as IFFCO’s top officials including its MD and Chairman, an ambitious Food Processing project was inaugurated at a remote village Machhiwara in Ludhiana on Thursday.
Capt. Amarinder Singh laid the foundation stone of the project which aims to benefit 10,000 farmers and generate 400 direct and 2,000 indirect employment. Thanking IFFCO and the Spanish firm Congelados De Navarra (CN Corp) Capt said the Project would unleash a series of development works not only in this region but also in the rest of the state.
Speaking of his govt efforts in attracting more than Rs 48000 cr investment in the last two years, the CM wanted to expedite the CN IFFCO project. “You plan to have it roll out in two years but I am sure you can do it quicker than that”, said the Capt addressing IFFCO and CN Corp top officials.
IFFCO Chairman B S Nakai who belongs to Punjab was roundly lauded for making this possible. Leaders after leaders spoke in Punjabi thanking IFFCO in general and Nakai and IFFCO MD Dr U S Awasthi in particular.
Nakai, in his speech thanked the Chief Minister and the state govt for felicitating the project by providing everything including 75 acre of land.
Spanish Deputy Ambassador who had come for the inauguration informed that CN Corp is a household name in Spain. I see a huge market for processed food in India as the food habits of Indians are changing very fast. India is an attractive destination for us because it is huge on both demand and supply, he added.
The quick freezer plant for vegetables has been launched with an initial investment of Rs 550 crore. While IFFCO has 40% stake, the Spanish partner has remaining 60%.
Later, after the function a jubilant IFFCO MD Dr U S Awasthi told this correspondent that CN Corp is a celebrated name in food processing technology not only in Spain and Europe but also in the rest of the world. It has made a mark in Broccoli processing and we are happy to be associated with one of the best in the fields, MD said.
Awasthi also said that the Project envisages training farmers in food processing technology thereby initiating a virtuous cycle of growth and more growth. “It would usher in a new era of food processing technology for the country, he added.